"People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one." - Leo J. Burke
We love this quote. For all the advice, some unsolicited, the tips, top 10 lists that instruct you to 'do this or don't do that, frankly, it's exhausting. Navigating the terrain of so-called 'expert sleep advice' we find on bookshelves, the web and spoken words from medical professionals, family and friends, just thinking about it makes me tired.
And in Hushamok land, where the fairies live, we are also reminded of the fragility of parenthood with desperate pleas from new parents seeking answers. We are reminded that just as no two snowflakes are alike, the same applies to babies. What we do know is that a parent's intuition is the most magical tool in your kit and you should lean on it and use it to understand not just what baby needs but consider the needs of the whole family (yes, you too).
Be educated, informed and safe but also be willing to trust yourself. Also, know that time passes quickly and as it often happens in life, just when you think you understand, the rug gets pulled out underneath your feet again. But know it's ok and we're always here if you need us.
Spring has finally arrived and with that comes an exciting calendar of events including our absolute F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E, Mother's Day!
What we know is babies and families alike love Hushamok for all the natural benefits it offers newborns. Whether it's the motion that helps babies sleep longer or the natural and unique design we at Hushamok want to offer your family a very special gift this season.
This Mother's Day we are offering one family the opportunity to enjoy Hushamok by gifting a package worth $750 that includes our Hushamok Hammock, Okoa Stand, Sheets, Mattress and Storage Bag. To enter click here: http://hushamok.com/pages/be-in-to-win-a-hushamok-okoa-baby-bassinet-this-april
Happy Spring and enjoy the sunshine.
Spring has arrived, finally. It's been a very long hibernation and thankfully flowers are blooming and the fresh air is bountiful.
Spring is seen as a time of growth, renewal of new life for both plants and humans being born. To celebrate its arrival, Hushamok is announcing a fantastic new giveaway. Details can be found here http://hushamok.com/pages/be-in-to-win-a-hushamok-okoa-baby-bassinet-this-april
And with Spring there is love, so we leave you with this little poem -
"sweet spring is your
time is my time is our
time for springtime is lovetime
and viva sweet love"
Have a peek at our newly launched tab on Hushamok.com entitled 'Reviews'. We hope this creates a sense of community and provides you with helpful and insightful information.
And if you want to share your own Hushamok experience feel free to post on our FB page or direclty on Hushamok.com
Thanks for sharing! X
When you have 5 seconds to spare, don't you just love a little Buzzfeed for yourself?
Well, we spotted this very cool list on Buzzfeed Life where 1300 parents took part in a poll about their baby items; those that are necessities and those that belong on the clearance shelf.
We at Hushamok endorse this list and do not think you need to spend money OR time on the Baby Care Timer App...
OR a Pee-Pee-Teepee (self-explanatory)...
What we loved about this 130,000 participant poll is that parents named the baby carrier and the baby swing as the most useful items. And you know how we feel about being close to your baby and how much they love motion. So it's probably no surprise that we stand behind this poll and Buzzfeed!
Follow the Buzzfeed article here.
In celebration of the new year and to show our appreciation to our loyal customers we are offering a $50 USD discount off your next Hushamok order. Simply visit hushamok.com from 15 January 31 through January 2015 and enter coupon code WELCOME2015 at the checkout and celebrate your babies first holiday with a gift from Hushamok.
And if you have any holiday images or would simply like to drop us a line we LOVE showcasing hearing from you! Feel free to post on our Hushaomok FB, Twitter or email us anytime. Hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful 2015, filled with lots of love and laughter.
From The Hushamok Team
*Offer valid expires 31 Jan 2015. Discount good worldwide! Not to be combined with other offers. Valid for orders $99 USD and over.
The Dreamers Club is a membership that offers discounts on Hushamok products and other special benefits.
-25% lifetime discount on Sheets, replacement Mattresses and our Travel bag
-FREE SHIPPING in the US & Discounted International Shipping Rates
-5 YEAR WARRANTY on Hushamok products
-FREE Leaf Spring Assembly Replacement Parts (applies to bolts and screws only and does not include replacement of black spreader bar)
Membership not transferable.
We'll see you in the...
What happens when a guy becomes a first time father? What is the process for the average manly “man’s man” to turn into a loving father and strong parental figure? We certainly want to know! So we had a chat to our co-founder, Julie Soboil, about how her husband (Mark) went from Dude to Dad. Have a read and then tell us in the comments - how was your/ your husband’s transformation from Dude to Dad?
“Families are dynamic and the latest change in our home has been the increasing role of Mark, husband and father to our boys (Lucas and Leo). As we emerge from the world of toddlers and they move towards adolescence, the paternal responsibilities grow too. With 2 perceptive boys, I watch their eyes follow Mark’s movements and comment with sports-like precision the wins and sometimes fails of their father.
And unlike a few years ago when I was majority keeper of the boys, the tables are now beginning to turn. With sports and boy movies, surfing and homestyle WWF, it’s so nice to observe their interactions and how Mark navigates the labyrinth of our family routine.
I’ll always have eyes for all my boys, Dad included.”
-Julie Soboil, Co-founder at Hushamok
The transformation from Dude to Dad is an amazing thing!
This post is a guest blog post by Amber from www.mybirthwrite.com | For more information on Amber, see her profile at the bottom of this blog post.
First, I am so honored to be a guest blogger and I hope you enjoy the read! My son Zaccai is now 21 months old; I have grown and changed immensely in these past few years. I am delighted to share my top 10 tips for you new Moms/Dads out there; I hope this finds you peace and guidance.
1. Your birth plan may or may not go the way you hope – either way, you will need a great friend or partner to help you heal. I went the “all natural” route and my 4 days of labor ended in an emergency cesarean. If you can, join groups to help you through this process, like the ICAN community. I needed someone at 2AM once and these mommas are around the clock. So neat.
2. You may not “love” your baby the instant he or she is born – this is completely normal. You have to take the time to get to know this little one. I remember at 3 weeks old, we clicked. It was really heavenly – but those first 3 weeks were more than miserable. I wish someone would have told me that from the beginning. I felt very guilty that I didn’t have that MOMENT everyone talked about at his birth.
3. Breastfeeding is important – those first few days are vital. Skin-to-skin 24 hours a day. This sounds insane and if people want to come by and see the baby – this may feel uncomfortable. Those first few days it was just me, my husband, my mom and the hospital staff. Absurdly enough I didn’t want anyone to be a part of our first few days except the people that had been a part of the days leading up to my son’s birth. It was almost sacred to me.
4. You know more than you think – I learned what every coo, cry, squawk and smile meant. How? I have no idea. This is truly a mother’s intuition.
5. You lose most of the pregnancy weight simply by being a mom, nursing and eating healthy – I was “blessed” with a c-section scar instead of stretch marks. Whether you have an incision, stretch marks, or your body has changed… you 'should' truly appreciate it. Your body worked wonders through 40+ weeks of pregnancy and days of labor –embrace those visible signs of bravery.
6. You will cry – You may not know why. You are not alone. You might need a friend or professional to talk to & that is okay. Keep your head up momma, you are doing amazing.
7. You may not recognize your husband or partner – keep pictures around of both of you smiling. It makes it easier to recognize the stranger walking around your house, enough said.
8. Ask for help, accept help – Learn to take showers and brush your teeth when these people offer help.
9. Going back to work is harder and easier than you think – I went back to teaching college students 2 weeks after my intense labor. It was a few hours at night but it was time away to teach [that’s what I love]. I felt like me. It felt great. My husband appreciated me more as a mom because I spent a few hours away the first couple months. I scheduled my pumping session(s) – never missed a beat and have been nursing my boy for 21 months.
10. You will become a parent you never imagined – do things you never imagined and say things you never imagined. That’s okay. Go with what you believe is right for you and your family. We chose gentle parenting/attachment parenting/cloth diapering because that is what works for us. Whatever you decide, parent with love and respect; you are raising a human.
I hope this was helpful and insightful. Being a parent is an extremely difficult role in life, yet so rewarding. Appreciate the time you have with your little one; he or she is only this age today. Breathe in that baby smell and enjoy the ride.
Xoxo, My Birth Write – Amber Green
About The Author: Amber Green is the proud owner and blogger at the www.mybirthwrite.com blog - "The moment a woman becomes a mother" - A blog dedicated to detailing the journey from woman to motherhood.
Baby Registries are simply wonderful for key life moments from getting married to having a baby. These services really seem to make our lives easier, don’t they?
Well..... a considered yes is our answer.
Let me explain.
First thing to remember is that retailers make money off of us by selling stuff. Well, that’s obvious. But in your enthusiasm and excitement of your baby news, don’t forget the commercial world is sold on selling - to us, to our relatives and to our friends.
They provide you with a check list of items and suggestions of different products which you could get. You then pick your list and then email or promote it to your friends and invite them to contribute to your new baby setup by buying gifts for you.
It really is a lovely solution, particularly for a first baby.
I don’t want to rain on your parade, but please, read this note of caution.
First you do NOT need everything on the registry service list. No, really you do not.
Second, it’s easy to get carried away wanting the ‘best’ for your child. But unless you’re made of money, buying top end for something that your child will grow out of within a couple of months is really a waste.
Read our article about Top 10 Useless Baby Items so you get an idea what you may not need.
Go have fun and pick over that registry list and select what you think you want.
Ask a trusted friend or your Mom and have them check your selections. Tell them that you want them to help you pick the bare minimum list. Then to have a plus “fun things” list of additions which would be nice to have but are not essential.
Now you’re armed and ready for sharing your edited registry list with your friends and relatives.
Enjoy this - it’s huge fun.
P.S. Just a quick point - would you consider second hand for some items?